Monday, April 2, 2012

Through Sophie's Eyes: Chapter 1


Chapter 1 



Senior Year





            Let me start with a little introduction.  My name is Sophia McKenzie.  I’m from a small town in New Jersey where I lived with my mom and my grandmother.  My mom, Karen McKenzie, is like your typical mom.  She can be bossy, annoying, weird, concerned, and loving all at the same time.  She’s kind of quirky but I love her.  She practically raised me by herself along with my Grandma Rose.  Grandma is a little less overzealous than my mom.  She is more laid back and gives peace in my life when my mother is all over the place.  My dad left us all alone.  He and my mom divorced when I was three.  I see him every once in a blue moon, enough said. 

The one guy in my life I could always count on was my best friend. But even sometimes that got complicated.  Being best friends with the most perfect guy is not always easy; especially when he is friends with a girl like me.  I am no where near perfect like he is.  Why he chose to be my friend I will never know.  Let’s start senior year in high school.



First period was always the slowest part of the day.  It was senior year and I still had to deal with listening to the same monotone voice I was so privileged to hear day after day.  Mr. Delaney was a good teacher but he was just so boring.

“Yo, Soph.”  I heard someone whisper behind me.

“What?”  I said practically sleeping.

“First off, wake up!  Secondly, what are you doing after school?  I need help with my English paper.” He said.

That was my best friend.  His name was Jayden Daniels.  Everyone called him JD.  He slacked off for three years and now he was actually trying to be studious so he could graduate, go figure.

“I thought you did it already?”  I announced curiously.

“Not exactly.” He laughed.

I gave him a quick glare.  “Talk to me at lunch.”

He smiled and replied, “Thanks, you’re the best”

That megawatt smile always got me…and every other girl in the entire school.



            JD was the most popular guy in school.  He was not only charmed with talent but good looks too.  He was captain of the basketball team, had starred in some of the high school’s musicals, and he was extremely lucky with the ladies.  The girls swooned at the sight of him.  The girls wanted to date him and the guys wanted to be him.  Don’t get me wrong though.  He was not your stereotypical arrogant, self centered jock.  He was practically oblivious to his popularity status and was very modest at times.  He was also down to earth, funny, and sweet.  

            Then there was me.  I was not so much an outcast but I was not exactly popular either.  I was pretty much stuck in the middle of everything.  I was invisible but not.  I don’t even know if I qualified for any particular category.  I guess I was just there.

            Everyone at school always wondered how JD and I were even friends in the first place.  It was hard for them to believe because we were put into different categories when we started high school.  So it was like, “There is JD and that girl.” Some people actually knew my name and some did not.  They probably all wondered why the hottest and most popular guy in school hung out with such a Plain Jane kind of girl like me.

            JD and I met in third grade.  It was Halloween and we were having a parade of all the kids dressed in their costumes in the parking lot of the school.  I remembered standing by the fence holding my mom’s hand for dear life cause I did not want to go off on my own. 



“Come on honey, you need to get in line for the parade.” My mom said.

“I don’t want to go by myself mommy.  No one else is dressed in the same costume as me.  They’re gonna laugh.”

“Sweetie, they are not going to laugh at you.  Everyone’s costumes are different.”  She assured me.

“But mommy, I’m the only girl dressed in a boy costume.  The other girls look like pretty princesses.” I told her.

“That’s okay Sophie.  You don’t want to be the same as everyone else anyway.  That is what makes you unique.”  She explained.

I stood there looking around for a little while longer with a sad look on my face.

“Hi!” I heard someone say excitedly behind me.

“Hi.” I hesitated as I turned to see who it was.

“You’re costume is awesome!” He said.

“Thanks, yours is too!” I said happily.

We were both wearing the same costumes.  We were ninja turtles.  I was Michelangelo and the boy was Leonardo.

“You like the ninja turtles too?” I asked the boy.

“Yea, they’re awesome!” He answered. “Do you want to walk with me in the parade?”

“Okay.” I said, “Mom, can I go with him?” I asked with a smile.

“Sure sweetie.”  My mom responded happily.

The boy and I walked off leaving our mothers to chat with each other.

“What’s your name?” The boy asked.

“I’m Sophie, what’s yours?”  I asked back.

“I’m Jayden.”  He responded with a slight grin.



We had been inseparable ever since that very day. 



            The next couple of classes went by in a blur.  The bell rang and it was finally time for lunch.  I met JD at his locker.  As he was going through his books I leaned up against the locker next to his with a dramatic sigh. He looked up at me with curious eyes.

“What’s wrong?”  He asked

“Nothing.”  I said unconvincingly.

He rolled his eyes, “Liar.” He stated plainly.

He shut his locker, and we were off to the cafeteria.  It was completely quiet the whole way there and as we got our lunches.  We sat down at the table and JD was the first one to break the silence.

“So what’s the story?” He asked.

I played with my food quietly for a moment.  Then I took a slight breath and looked at him with uncertainty running through my mind. “It’s just that…” I started not finishing my sentence.  JD gave me a look to urge me to continue. “Well,” I began again, “it’s just that it’s hard to believe high school is almost over.  I’m just scared is all.”

“Sophie,” JD replied, “we have been thorough this before.  There’s nothing to be afraid of.  Things will work out the way they were meant to.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” I argued, “you’re so easy going about everything.  It’s like you have no fears at all about the future.”

“Of course I do,” he added, “I just don’t think it’s necessary to dwell on it.  It’s not like we are completely done with school anyway.  We still have college to get through.  Now after that then we have to face our fears head on.  That’s when it’s time to be an adult and start worrying.  Right now we just take it one day at a time kid, one day at a time.  No worries. Everything will be fine.”

            No worries? I don’t know how that kid did it.  There I was millions of thoughts running through my head worrying about every little thing and he just planned on breezing through it all.  Graduation was only weeks away.  I still had yet to choose a college.  Plus JD planned on going away to school.  That meant we had to say goodbye.  I barely knew how to get through the day without him by my side.  I felt like I wasn’t going to survive without hearing him run his crazy mouth all the time.  I also had never been good at goodbyes.  When I was ten, I cried for a week when my goldfish died.  My mom gave me a whole speech about how we all had to say goodbye to the ones we loved at some point or another.  That did not comfort me at all.  Maybe I was just scared things were going to change for the worse instead of the better.  I tried to block all the worries out of my head for JD’s sake.  He was probably right anyway and everything was going to be fine….I think.

            The bell rang, interrupting my pending thoughts.  It was time to face the rest of the school day.

           

Once the school day was over I was glad to head home.  JD came by my house after school so I could help him with the rest of his English paper.  He wound up staying for dinner.  My Grandma Rose cooked her famous lasagna.  JD loved my Grandma’s cooking so he could not resist staying when my mom asked him if he wanted to.

“Gran, it smells amazing.” He announced to her as he walked into the kitchen.

“Why thank you, son.  I’m glad you could join us tonight.  You haven’t stayed for dinner lately.  I was beginning to think Sophie kicked you to the curb.” She replied with a laugh.

JD laughed along with her. “She would never do that.” He said as he put his arm around my shoulder. “She would miss me too much.”

I gave him a goofy look.

“Come on kids. Let’s eat.”  My mom yelled from the dining room.



Later after dinner I walked JD out.

“So, do you want me to pick you up in the morning for school tomorrow?  I don’t feel like driving there alone.  Plus, let’s put it in the thank you card for helping me with the rest of my paper.” He smiled brightly.

“Sure, I’ll see you in the morning bright and early.” I gave him a hug goodbye.  After he finally left I went upstairs for some much needed sleep to face the next few weeks.           

  




No comments:

Post a Comment